Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Lotsa squares

I have been knitting squares, and squares, and more squares. These are all for the Oliver's Blanket project on the Mason Dixon Knitting site.

First, All of them piled up waiting to be mailed:Next, pictures of them drying after washing them all (I couldn't mail them without washing them first!!)

Next, here are closeups of all of my special MasonDixon squares. Each is based on one of the patterns in their book, or on their website. We have:

The Ballband square:
The Moss Grid square:
The Big Dotty square:
The Log Cabin square:
The Tailgate square:
The Mitered Square square:
The Baby Genius square: (my own reversible version of the Baby Genius pattern)
And finally, the Nine Patch square:

Some of these took a little swatching and reknitting to get them the right size, but they are so cute, it is worth it. Some of them (like the Nine Patch square) are identical to the real pattern, just done on small needles with thin yarn. Others (like the Mitered Square square) are adaptations of the original. I suppose I could have knit with sewing thread on pins and made the original Mitered Square Blanket pattern turn out 4" in size, but even I'm not that crazy!

They are off in the mail today, just in the nick of time. I enjoyed making these, and was a little disappointed that I ran out of time before I used up every scrap of my leftover sock yarn. I mean, look at all of this:
There's enough there for at least two more solid squares. And all the little odd pieces left over could make at least one more square with about 2 or 3 rows worth of each color. And yes, that's another plain square, about 2/3 of the way done, that I started when I thought I had time for "Just one more" before I had to mail them.

What am I going to do with all my knitting time now?

ps Sorry about the crappy pictures. I could have done a little better, but I'M ON A DEADLINE HERE!!

15 comments:

Lindsey said...

those are just adorable! what wonderful work.

Soo said...

Brilliant!! What a perfect contribution to the blanket.

Amy said...

Lovely!

handknitbyafailedfeminist said...

Wow! They are just great. I am so impressed!

Norma said...

Your squares are SO MUCH FUN and lovely! Well done, Lady!

Angie said...

Beautiful squares! Lovely. You did such wonderful and creative knitting. And the packaging was super! :-)

KnittyLynn said...

Amazing!
Great job. :)

kelli ann & lorie said...

lovely, lovely::

Kathleen said...

Fabulous!

Molly said...

Those are some bitchin' squares.

Juls said...

Those are really amazing--thanks for posting all those photos for us to enjoy!!!

Carol Ann said...

I can't decide if my favorite is the ballband square or the 9-patch square. They're all lovely!

Max said...

They're all wonderful, but the Ballband square has stolen my heart. What a stupendous contribution you've made!

cindy said...

Great squares!!!Looks like I'm a cindyknits and you are a cindysknits!!

Kristy said...

There are just no words for how cute the Mason-Dixon inspired squares are!